Sunday, September 7, 2008

Play your own Game

I love playing games. Don't think otherwise please! I mean I love playing video games. This has been my passion for years and I consider myself to a be bigtime gaming enthusiast. I know it sounds weird to some people who think that gaming is meant for kids and not for grown ups but I hate to disagree with those people. In fact I would ask them to visualize 'this world' my way. It's one of the most creative thing on this earth and you cant find this creativity even in the movies. Infact, many movies are based on video games like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Max Payne etc. Here you can be someone you always desired to be and live your moment. Where else on earth can you become a cop, a footballer, a racer, an actor and may be a hooligan!! In my opinion it stimulates your grey cells to the best possible level and pumps you up from within. The mind becomes agile and you cant get the thrills and the goose-bumps in a better manner! I do agree however that some people are naturally incapable of handling the gyrating screens, the lightning fast motions and the cacophony of bizarre sounds which become hindrances for generating the quick responses needed.

I reminisce my engineering days when I played those numerous games and I was able to pass my entire days with ease while bunking classes. Not only days but I even disturbed my roomies during the night with the "highly irritating" noise of the keyboard. One of my buddy seriously couldn't sleep many a times because of the mission which used to revolve in my mind- the mission to clear all the 'missions'. The craze lasted till the end of my engineering days. After that I have not been able to pursue it for obvious reasons like job and now MBA. But the spark is still there inside and the craze has not died down yet.

While all this went on during my golden days of college, one more desire always remained inside. Actually it wasnt a desire but a dream to work in a game development industry. This particular industry always facinated me. What else can be better than working at a place which captivates you and doing something which you love doing? This dream always stayed somewhere deep in my brain and never bubbled enough and as a result it never transformed into a goal. The obvious career choices which most people pursue after engineering probably overpowered my dream career. I often regret that I didnt give it a shot which it deserved. We all would have experienced it sometimes that we dont do something which we truly love doing. We always follow a constrained path and restrict ourselves from reaching out to newer destinations. Then we regret later on somewhere in our life. We always choose our careers based on some ridiculous 'career' rules which prescribe banking, software, engineering, medical as the standard and 'right' choices. And then we force ourselves to love the mess we've got into and even manage to say occasionally to some people "Oh! I love numbers. Banking is perfect for me" when deep down inside we detest the grilling we have to go through everyday at work.

Can I do something about it now? The answer is probably NO coz I am into this new world of MBA and 'business' has become my second language. Whether I like it or not I got to learn this new language for me to survive. But I am afraid of one thing though. I am apprehensive about reaching a stage where the creative person inside me will be killed in the hustle bustle of this industry. Doing something which we dont love doing can never give us the internal bliss we all crave for. So the moral of the story is "Get the things which you love, else you'll be forced to love the things which you get". These are ofcourse not my lines :). So guys, just go ahead and chase your dreams.

8 comments:

Chandradeep Shaktawat said...

Hi guys, I request you not to post comments anonymously. Thanks!

Unknown said...

One of my friends' brother was working at EA Sports as a tester/developer. His job was ... well ... testing (i.e play games for like 4/5 hours a day at 'work'). One day he was apparently looking at some development charts that had been made by his boss' boss. His boss saw him doing this and said something like this -- "I don't want to catch you another time going through stupid charts when you should be playing games" :P

I mean, that's a whacko-sounding comment to a third person even though in this context was being told off.

Nice article btw (saying it as a game enthusiast who was fervently in love with Age Of Mythology)

Anonymous said...

good one yarr...had you watched bachna haseno of ranbir kapoor.

Chandradeep Shaktawat said...

yeah i have seen it...

Anonymous said...

Very nicely put article! i think u got the hang of this blog thing ,good job ,keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Buddy... Finally you have written the one thing I was waiting for... I was expecting this will come sooner or later (How can i forget you completed all the missions of IGI 2 and Hitman in days)... Lets meet someday and remember old days... This time on Xbox... :)

Chandradeep Shaktawat said...

bugger cant u write ur name??? saale chin chin...

sunilgaur28 said...

Amazing! just amazing boss!
Now i m also thinking what i would love to be. most likely it is not what i m going to be.
keep writing buddy...